Thursday, August 26, 2004

The War in Iraq

I don't know why, but today it really hit me that there are men dying over there. Brave men (According to a report I heard on the BBC our Marines fighting in Falujah are fearless.) who have better things to do. But they've left families here. And those families lives continue, or come to an end while their sons and grandsons are over there. And then I thought of this song, sung by a father sending his last son to fight in a war....

Oh, Danny boy, the pipes, the pipes are calling,
From glen to glen and down the mountain side;
The summer's gone, and all the leaves are falling;
'Tis ye, 'tis ye must go, and I must bide.

But come ye back when summer's in the meadow,
Or when the valley's hushed and white with snow;
'Til I'll be here in sunshine or in shadow;
Danny boy, Oh Danny boy, I love you so.

And when ye come and all the flowers are dying,
If I am dead, as dead I well may be.
Ye'll come and find the place where I am lying,
And kneel and say an "Ave" there for me.

And I shall hear, 'though soft ye tread around me,
And all my grave shall linger sweeter be,
Then ye will bend and tell me that ye love me,
And I shall sleep in peace until ye come to me.

And I was feeling all weepy. Then I remembered another song. It is called the Second Canon, 9th Ode, in Tone 8...

In Thy majesty, ride forth victoriously, Son of the Mother of God.
Subdue the people of Ishmael that fight against us.
Grant Thine Invincible Cross to Orthodox Christians who call on Thee for help.


But still, here is an Ave for the the people who die while their children or grandchildren are over there. And it is for the men who die over there.

Ave Maria
Gratia plena
Dominus tecum
Benedicta tu in mulieribus
Et benedictus fructus ventris
Tui, Jesus
Sancta Maria
Mater Dei
Ora pro nobis peccatoribus
Nunc et in hora mortis nostrae
Amen.

2 comments:

Deborah White said...

Interesting blog...lots of food for thought. I have linked you to my blog at www.heartsoulandhumor.blogspot.com. Hope lots of people visit.

Matt said...

Thanks, Debi. I hope you enjoy our blog.