Monday, August 16, 2004

Dormition, Baptism, and Expensive Cuts of Meat

Yesterday was the Feast of the Dormition of the Theotokos. Other than the historicity of the event I am not sure what the theological import of the event is. I guess, we are just fulfilling the prophecy to call her blessed. I don't know. What I do know is that when I lit candles in front of her Icons on Saturday night and Sunday morning the prayers I offered were answered. I loved the Old Testament readings about her. One thing I think is interesing is that on her feast days we always read the passage from the Gospel that tells of the woman crying out "Blessed is the womb that bore you" and then tells of Jesus' correction to that womans statement. It took me a while (I'm slow sometimes.) to figure out that God intends for all of us to have the same bessings as Mary. He wants all of us to be "God-bearers".

Also, yesterday was the baptism of a new parishoner. Named after a Saint Blaze. Fr. preached on what it means to be born again. After the liturgy we had a fabulous feast of pork loin and all kinds of other yummy stuff. It was very good. Also, the church was crowded. Almost everyone was returned from their summer travels.

After church we went to Costco and bought a beef tenderloin for the little boys Name Day. It isn't going to be a big party like his birhday, just us, Fr. David, Mat. Elaine, and the little boy's God Mother. (God Father lives in Ashville now and can't make it. But he was at the little boy's first B-day party, and prays for him daily before the Icons of the Holy Prophet Samuel.) So, there are only going to be 6 people at this gathering and I now have an enormous piece of beef tenderloin in the fridge. (Cyndi asked the butcher to cut it in half, but to no avail.) About midnight last night I realized that I have never cooked a beef tenderloin and have no idea how to do it!



No comments: