Saturday, August 28, 2004

Long Day (all in one paragraph)

Up at 7. Prayers. Coffee. In the car by 8:30. Gas Station. Long drive north along the eastern shore of San Francisco Bay. Stuck in traffic for a very long time. There are four main Freeways out of the Bay Area. We had the misfortune of being on one of them. We traveled several miles with the speedometer on ZERO mph. But we got to Jeff's house about 10:45 (planned on being there before 10) and had a great time. (Thanks for the chow, Jeff. You can make chocolate pancakes for me anytime. But have you considered putting a little dark rum in the banana caramel sauce?) After brunch on the east side of the bay we crossed the Bay Bridge. Cyndi and I had our first real argument over politics. Specifically, it was regarding the financing of the seismic upgrade of the eastern span of the Bay Bridge. She thinks the State government should pay for it. I think the counties and cities around the San Francisco Bay should pay for it, or even better, the people who actually drive on the bridge. It was a very interesting experience. When we got to S.F. we had to make a stop at the Palace Hotel to drop something off. While I was waiting outside the hotel for Cyndi to pick me up Lavay Smith almost rode over me on her bicycle. It was So COOL!!!! When Cyndi picked me up I told her about my brush with greatness and she was totally unimpressed. Turns out she and Lavay have a friend in common and have partied togeather. According to Cyndi, Lavay is kinda dull and boring!!!! Then to My Sister-in-laws house on Nob Hill for a few minutes. Cyndi had to talk to her about something. Then to the bank, then Archangel Bookstore to buy candles, then to a mediteranean (muslim-owned) resturaunt for a very good lunch of lamb kebabs and shewerma (sp?), then to Golden Gate Park so the little boy could play. It was fun watching him interact with other kids. Although, one little 5 year old snot kept calling my little boy "pip squeek" and throwing a frizbee at him really HARD! The criminal-to-be's mother naively tried teaching her little wife-beater-in-training how to throw the frisbee more softly. The little soon-to-be-gang-member needed a paddling, not gentle instruction. I intervened by walking over to where they were "playing", taking my little boy's hand and walking him away from the junior felon. At first the little boy was not happy, but in a playground with forty kids running around and playing he quickly forgot the abusive frisbee boy and found another little boy (about the same age) with whom he could play "share". They kept finding things on the ground (twigs, rocks, etc.) to give to each other. I like that game a lot more than assault-frisbee. Got the bid from the gardener. Went to the Vigil in preparation for tomorrow's commemoration of the Beheading of John the Forerunner. Then drove home. Whoops! We were almost home when we realised we had to go grocery shopping. Then we went home. What did I find at home? Two parties going on in the complex. Two very loud parties. Had to talk to tennents. I hate that. One of them quieted down. The other gave me lip and for an excuse for being loud said, "But we're watching the Raider's game." Sure, blame your loud party on a bunch of football players in a different city! 1/2 an hour later they were still being loud. police were called. I forsee an eviction. Then I had to write a bunch of thank you notes to people. Now I am writing this blog entry. In about 30 seconds I will begin putting together the gardening bids for the parish council to look at tomorrow afternoon.

No comments: