Tuesday, August 17, 2004

Siezing the day and reading books.

Woke up at 7:30. The little boy and I got ready for the meeting with my boss. He helped me check the pool chemicals (he gathered the water samples for me.) and used his butterfly net to get the floating leaves off the top of the pool. The he helped me delive some notices to tennants. (He tapes them to their doors.)
The meeting itself went well. She says we are doing a good job and she never has to think about what we are doing here. That is a relief to hear because I am usually not sure about 1/2 the stuff I am doing here.
After the meeting we walked up to the dry cleaner and dropped off some pants and shrts. Also picked some up. (I didn't know I had any to pick up so that was a nice surprise.) The walk to the dry cleaner and back should have taken 20 minutes or less. But the little boy is not goal oriented. Many dandelions were picked and blown, many rocks were stuffed into pockets, many magnolia seed pods were piled into little piles all along the way. I asked him why he was piling the fallen maganolia pods into little piles and he said "other people see later". After he said that, I thought, "Hmmm. That's probably what the people who built Stonehenge ('It's one of the biggest henges in the world!') said." So I hung my dry cleaning on a tree and sat down on the side walk and watched him pile up the seed pods. It was a lot of fun. But a 20 minute walk took more than an hour.
I just go him down for a nap. While we were laying there I showed him how to play music on the headboard. He thought that was really neat.
Well, gotta get the house clean for the name day dinner. Bathroom is done but wow! the living room is a wreck.
Oh, I almost for got the part about this post dealing with books. My boss and I were talking about her 11 year old daughter's summer reading. She is really into reading series of books. And that got me to thinking about Cyndi and I. We read out loud to each other. And oddly, we seem to read series, too. So far we've read all the Harry Potter books (I think they are under-rated. I think the reason some people don't like them is because they have no understanding of Christian symbology.), the Chronicles of Narnia, the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency series (Highly recommended), the Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings, and are almost finished with the Little House series by Laura Ingalls Wilder. We are taking suggestion for what we should read next.

1 comment:

David said...

(I think they are under-rated. I think the reason some people don't like them is because they have no understanding of Christian symbology.)
The people, or the books?
Since there are Christian holidays celebrated in both the magic world and in the muggle world,it always seemed to me that magic was just another ”technology” and that everything fit under the vast banner of heaven. Sure kids run around mumbling phony latin abacadbras at things in mimicry of the heroes in the book, but this is not the same as truly meddling in sorcery.
I think her books are incredible.
“Constant vigilance!”
—David “MadEye” Moody

Oh, yeah, “He is alive.”