Tuesday, August 24, 2004

Church 101

Okay, point one about the church. I absolutely agree with you that it is manifested locally but above all remains one. Our difference is on what the 'one' is. For your thinking, it is the Orthodox church. But first and foremost I believe that the church is people, not a particular sect or denomination. The Orthodox church cannot claim to be 'the' church, but neither can the Lutheran church, etc. Do I believe that you are saved by God's grace? Of course...I've seen GOd work in your life many ways over the years. I also beleive the same about myself.

Is everyone in my church or in my denomination saved? Highly doubtful. The same can be said about your church in Sf and the Orthodox church. Every field has tares. Every flock has goats.

I also do not believe in (I think you've used this term) 'lowest denominator Christian'. Just because you raise a hand, sign a card, walk down an aisle, etc, that DOES NOT make you a believer. Real faith is played out in life. The best evidence that one can give for being a Christian is not that they say they are but that their life is changed. if one professes to become a Christian and then goes back to his old lifestyle, I don't think that person truly has faith.

I'm not sure how you are differentiating between an Orthodox understanding of the visible/vs invisible church and the Protestant way of understainding it. I think the basic definition of the visible church is who shows up to worship on Sunday and calls themself a believer. The invisible church is those who truly are saved. I share a visible church with those around me on Sunday. I share the invisible church with you, George, Keith, etc.

This will be contnued also. How do we Bryan into this???????????????????????

No comments: