Sunday, July 13, 2008

This Day's Activities

Woke up, got dressed for church. The boys and I dropped Athanasia off so she cold get some work done on a project. Then we went on to church. We go there late. Which meant that Anselm couldn't serve in the Altar. Whch meant that I wold have to manage them both alone. Basil is hard. All he wants to do is run and talk and play. Anslem is easy. He is content to observe the liturgy, walk around and venerate relics and icons, light candles, etc. Unless he is with his little brother. Then they kind of feed off of each other in a sprial of choas. So we turned arround and came back home. I was already feeling bad, like I was a horrible excuse for a Chiristian when Basil said he wanted to go to church. But I know that five minutes after arriving at church he'd want to leave. I don't know. He does okay with the prayers at home. Maybe only take him to church on feat days when there is so much commotion no one will notice the tremendous struggle to keep him quit and still. Athanasia and I have talked about taking turns staying home with Basil. But that doesn't seem right. Nothing really seems right.

Other events of this day:

Got a flat tire.

Got tire fixed (Warranty!!!)

Took stuff to Goodwill.

Bought a new bed for our new townhouse.

Worked with Anselm on reading/memorizing Genesis 1. (Not as much progress as I had hoped.)

Watched a really good movie on netflix.

5 comments:

Mimi said...

Sigh. It is ok, really. Hugs.

Athanasia said...

I dunno Matt. I am of a mind that you take the kids to church and tough it out with them. I believe it is the only way they will know to behave. Anselm is old enough to know that he can't follow Basil into bad behavior. Patience is key. And lots of prayers. And more hugs!

Maybe a baba will adopt you and help out!

Anonymous said...

Matt,
I looked up a little something from Mother Gavrilia: "A child belongs neither to the father nor the mother... but to God!(the most important thing is) Example. Nothing Else! Our example, silence and love..."
And a link to St Theophan the Recluse on Instructing Youth in the Faith: http://www.innerlightproductions.com/thoughts/aug0600.htm

Rest assured that children are the sign of a healthy parish. Your youngest will have moments but he is watching you and absorbing the gifts of the DL.
Hang in there, you are doing fine.

Anonymous said...

Oops!
here's the link...Instructing Youth in the Faith

Matt said...

Thank you, all.
Of course, I see now, and really, knew before, that I can not deprive Basil of communion until he begins behaving in Church.