Friday, July 18, 2008

My Mother to My father

Sometimes my dad had to travel for his work. He had a lot of board meetings, sometimes trips to missions in Haiti and Jamaica. When my Mom could not go with him because of her work as a school teacher, she would hide notes to him tucked into his suit pockets, folded into his pajamas, rolled up inside his shoes. Dad said the other preachers traveling with him would tease him about it. Every morning they would ask, "Did you get another letter from Bunny?" I think they were envious. Their wives didn't send love letters to them.

When my Dad died I took all of his sermon notes, at least those he had kept after he retired. Among the sermon notes (I am reading through them) I found this poem from my mother that he kept.

When nighttime draws her curtains
And pins them with a star,
And tucks the little sunbeams out of site-
I think of you, my darling,
No matter where you are
And pray that God will keep you through the night

No comments: