Sunday, July 20, 2008

Labyrinths and the Holy Prophet Elijah

After working at packing things up all day the boys needed a break. I took them to get gelato in downtown Palo Alto and to Borders where they looked at kids books while I bought how-to book for tile, bathrooms, and plumbing (for work).

We parked the car near All Saints Episcopal Church, and Anselm wanted to walk the labyrinth. So, Anslem, Basil , and I walked the labyrinth. After 15 seconds Basil just ran to the center and said "I win!" But Anselm and I walked the whole thing. For 2/3 of it I was thinking, "What in the world does this have to do with Christianity" but then I realized what was going on: There is only one path and it is narrow. It is not a straight line to the goal. Often it seems like the walker is justgoing around in circles. At times it seems that the walker is farther away from the goal than he was a few steps earlier. But as long as the walker is on the path he is getting closer to the goal, it just doesn't always seem like it.

What does this have to do with the Holy Prophet Elijah? Well, consider the following:
1. Being in the northern kingdom, Israel, with its non-davidic king and alternative temple (to say nothing of Baal worship), he was in the Old Testament equivalent of a schizmatic church. (On the outside of, or, perhaps, on the outer ring of the labyrinth)
2. But God still used him. (moving toward the goal)
3. But he had to hide out near a brook and be fed by ravens, and then in Lebanon to be fed by a widow. (going in circles)
4. God used him to defeat the prophets of Baal. (moving toward the goal)
5. But he had to run, and then he despaired under a juniper tree. (seeming to move away from the goal)
6. Finally, he was taken to Heaven in a chariot of fire, throwing his mantel to Elisha, who's are the first relics recorded to be miracle working. (Not only attaining the goal, but helping others get there, too.)

Well, in addition to packing stuff to move today I did manage to tell the boys and Athanasia the whole story of Elijah from memory. They enjoyed it. I can thank my Dad for teaching me those stories. Elijah was his favorite Old Testament personality and he preached many sermons on Elijah's life. I really miss hearing my dad preach.

Also, it bugs me that some of us Orthodox are Old Calendar and some of us are New Calendar. I wish we were all on the same calendar So we could all celebrate this Saint's day together. I'd be happy with a compromise. I'll subtract 7 if you'll add 8. Or is it that I need to add while you subtract? See, I don't even know that.

1 comment:

Athanasia said...

I see you've inherited your Dad's gift of preaching for it is nothing more than storytelling! Telling the story of God's love for us!