Thursday, July 03, 2008

Baptism and Christology

A couple of times Protestant friends of mine have commented to me that they think my belief that infants are saved by being baptized is nuts because babies don't have faith and the people baptizing don't have the power to save.

Leaving off the discussion of faith in the infant, I want to talk about the people doing the baptizing. The only person who baptizes is Jesus. How is that? Well, the Church is Jesus' body. So when it baptizes someone, that person is being baptized by Jesus. To me it seems like a very simple thing. It is strange to me that Protestants, who generally believe in taking the plain understanding of the Bible don't see this. Even when I've explained it they don't see it. I must not be very good at explaining my faith. For that I am very sorry, and I hope God forgives me.

Anyway, KevinBurt has something to say on this topic and I think you might enjoy it.

2 comments:

jeff miller said...

So then how do you deal ith John 4:2, where it specifically says that Jesus did not baptize??

Matt said...

I don't know. I suppose just by saying that he didn't baptize anyone. See? I'm not good at explaining this. But I don't see that John 4:2 which is about the actions of Jesus before his Ascension has anything to do with the actions of Jesus after his Ascension.