Saturday, January 12, 2008

A New Feature: Matt's Mental Soundtrack Saturdays

The other day I mentioned that I know very little about contemporary pop music. Maybe its because my youngest sibling is nine years older than I that the music I think of as being of my generation is that recorded by Peter Paul and Mary, Simon and Garfunkel, Aretha Franklin, The Temptations, The Stone Ponies, and The Mamas and the Papas. It was a golden window that I think of as the time between the assasination of John Kennedy and the release of Saturday Night Fever.

Every Saturday, from now until I run out of clips (or until the Lord returns, whichever happens first), I am going to be posting songs that make up the mental soundtrak of my childhood (except I wasn't born until 1969 so mst of this stuff is from before then.).

One of the more sad stories in music is that of Simon and Garfunkel. It might be true that no two voices were ever so complementary, but Paul Simon's pride and resentment of Art Garfunkel caused him to break up the duo. Since then he has only, in my opinion released two good albums: One Trick Pony and Graceland. Had he remained in his partnership with Art Garfunkel it is likely that the two of them would have produced a dozen amazing and beautiful albums together during the past 30 years. Thankfully, a lot of their gigs were recoded, such as this performance of Late in the Evening during their 1984 reunion concert in Central Park.

4 comments:

jeff miller said...

Listen to Paul Simon's "The Rhythm of the Saints" Lots of Brazilian influences. Also "Hearts and Bones", released in 1983. Great songs such as "Train in the Distance".

The Central Park concert was in 1981

Don said...

All I think of when I think of Paul Simon solo is "You Can Call Me Al," which, when current, made no sense to me. I agree with you, the two made a dynamic team, and probably could have been to pop (read "adult contemporary") music what Brooks & Dunn have been for country.

Matt said...

Jeff, you are right about the year of the central park concert. And I agree that there is a Brazzilian influence (understatement of the decade) on TRotS. But we'll have to disagree about the merits of TRotS and H&B. I would like to make mention of his album title "Paul Simon". It contains the song "Me and Julio Down at the School Yard" which is a very good song.

Don, now I'll have to listen to Brooks and Dunn. I know nothing about them. You Can Call Me Al was the worst WORST song on the Graceland Album. I will never understand why it was released as a single. In my opinion it was a huge marketing mistake. African Dreams (no song with Linda Ronstadt singing back up can be bad) and the title track were two of the best songs that came out that year. I'll never understand why those two songs were not promoted more. It was like the record company didn't know what to do with the album.

Matt said...

Woops I meant "Under African Skies" not African Dreams