Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Much ado about...art?

In all of my Christmas activity I missed this very good article by Susan Cushman on Icons.

The part about the weeping Icons reminded me of a time I was very gently corrected by a woman in my parish. I think what started the conversation is that I said I was looking for an Icon of my wife's patron, The Venerable Athanasia but was having trouble finding one. Then my sons's godfather said, "Laser Printer". And I said, "I don't like Icons on paper." And that is when I was corrected.

The woman said "I went to a church a couple of years ago and a priest asked me if I wanted to venerate a weeping Icon. I expected it to be a big wooden Icon but it was a piece of paper, like a post card."

If God wants to use paper, who am I do disagree?

2 comments:

Mimi said...

I have a good friend whose son is Susan's Godson, and I have been blessed to read her blog recently. She is an amazing writer.

Matt said...

That's pretty neat. What is the URL for her blog?