Saturday, January 05, 2008

Confession

Carolina Canonball, reminds us: "Confession", wrote St. Isidore of Seville (+636), "heals, confession justifies, confession grants pardon of sin. All hope consists in confession. In confession there is a chance for mercy. Believe it firmly. Do not doubt, do not hesitate, never despair of the mercy of God. Hope and have confidence in confession."

I do not know the context of these words. He could have said them to his bishops in council. (The Archbishop of Seville excercised much direct control over the diocesans in Spain, similar to the Patriarch of Moscow.) Or perhaps he was talking to the the Visigoths who he lead out of the heresy of Arianism. Maybe it was to one poor man stumbling under the wait of a hunderd "little" sins. I don't know. What I do know, is that illness has kept me from making confession for a long time. And it doesn't look like I'l be able to go later tonight, because of allthe ilness in my family. Its been almost two months. Much much to long.

No comments: