Sunday, July 24, 2005

Pain Through Funerary Plans - A Difficult Day

Last night was full of pain. I took some pills a few minutes before 6 and went back to bed. That might not have been a good idea because my wife could not wake me for church. She said we had a conversation but I do not remember it. Anyway, when I woke up it was ten o'clock and I was the only person home. I jumped into the shower, threw on some clothes and sped down the street to St. Stephen's in Campbell. I got there just in time to for the preist to come out and say "In the fear of God and in love draw nigh". But, having missed the Gospel reading I did not "draw nigh". But at least I got to see the Holy Mystery, and I heard the choir singing as people went to the chalice, and lots of people brought me blessed bread. I got to see my friends Doug and Anna. The chanter who read the Prayers of Thanksgiving at the end of the liturgy had very good diction. I appreciate that.

After church I went to Barnes and Noble. I saw a book that was very wonderful. It was a timeline of world history - a folio, really, not a book. It can be separated from its cover, unfolded, and mounted to a wall. It was originally produced sometime in the 1850's but had been updated to 2005. It began in Eden. It was illustrated with all kinds of neat things: On the bottom edge of the folio one can trace the geneology of Jesus for 4,000 years. (A couple of days ago I think I said something about Shem and Abraham being alive at the same time. According to the timeline, their lives overlapped quite a bit.) In the area around 1,000 - 500 BC were illustrations and ancient commentary on the 7 wonders of the world.

A fascinating thing was the line for the British nation. Its line becomes wider and wider, but it shows the USA breaking off and starting a new line, the same for Cananda, New Zeland, Australia, South Africa, and many other countries in Africa and the Carribean Sea. It again becomes a very narrow line. But there is something else, too. It shows the relative strength of the King vs. the Prime Minister. Beginning with George III the Prime Minister seems to be growing and the King deminishing. And then, after Victoria, the decline of the Monarchy is dramatic. It is an amazing chart.

A sad thing - at one point, the line for Zimbabwe, one of the nations that split off from Britain has this note. "Here begins the rule of Robert Mugabe. He took one of the richest nations in Africa and by misrule has turned it into one of the poorest."

I love my country, but I do feel sorry for the world - Britain no longer has her Empire, her Britanic Majesty is so weak that a bunch of politicians boss her around (perhaps she will rouse herself and give justice to her people), the House of Lords really is not that anymore. As Britain is the mother of my country (Isn't it interesting that almost as soon as we won the war for ndependence we created an office called the President of the United States and gave it all the powers we thought George III had abused?) , I mourn her enfeeblement. The world is a better place for her having been so strong.

After that I went home and there was my wife and the little boy. She had met her sister 1/2 way between San Jose and San Francisco to pass off HP6.

We went and got the little boy's hair cut. It was his first haircut. We was okay until he sat in the chair and the cape was snapped around his neck. His visage grew afraid and he said with a quivering voice: "It's okay for us to just go home now." But once the clippers were turned on he had a good time. He does not look at all like a little baby any more. I'll post pictures as soon as my wife uploads them.

After that we went to my parents house. All of my siblings were there. We had to talk about things like "Do Not Resuscitate Orders", coffins, burial sites, life insurance, wills, and who gets invited to memorial services. (In case any of my mother's sisters are reading this, ALL of my mothers sisters will be invited to be there. We love ALL of you. My mother loves ALL of you.) The law requires three designees for making medical decisions in case the patient can't. Since I am the 4th child I figured I was home free. Then my Dad said, "Well, I have 4 kids. I don't think I can choose which three should be on the form."

I said, "Oh, that's okay. I'm the youngest. I figured it would be Ken, Rebecca, and Mark."

Then Ken said, "No. This is not an age thing. It's whoever they decide."

Shoot! I thought I was home free.

Then we went out for Mexican food. (The Immigration Reform Act of 1965 is the best thing that ever happened for eating in america. In one week I have had champagne risotto, tempura, curried cabbage and dal, crazy-good Chinese, y un chimichanga fantastico.)

Alcohol units: 1 (sangria with my chimichanga)
Tobacco units: 0
Caffine units: 1
Itallian sodas: 2 (See below)
Pills for the neck: 16
Tenant issues: 1


How to make an itallian soda:

4 tbsp. Torani syrup
3/4 c. milk
Carbonated water
Crushed ice

Mix the syrup and milk in a tall glass. Add carbonated water and ice until the glass is full. (Don't try mixing the ingredients in any other order or the milk will curdle.)

5 comments:

Matt said...

Hey, Doug! When is that baby due?

Matt said...

Oct 14 is the due date, but because of my wifes history there is going to be a C-section on oct. 7.

Have picked a name/patron yet?

Anonymous said...

Matt, Your comments about ALL your Mom's sisters being invited and loved made me cry. It has hurt me deeply to see a rift in a family that was once so very close. I miss the family reunions and holidays. I feel Grama and Granpa would be cringing if they knew how far apart we have all grown. I miss all the "Aunts", "Uncles", and "Cousins". I have some wonderful children and grandchildren that some of them have never met. That saddens my heart. I'm glad that you and I have gotten back in touch with one another and at least been able to communicate via email. I have many many found memories of you when you were young. You were one of the most intelligent youngsters I've ever know!
Love Ya Cuz, Robin

Anonymous said...

Note:
That was meant to be "fond" memories, not "found".....so much for spell checkers! hahaha!

Matt said...

We had planned on St. Basil of Moscow and St. Zoe (but using the russian variant Zoya). But now my wife is not sure about Zoya. She is thinking about St. Myrope the Martyr of Chios. I asked the God parents for some help with names. We might just go with the who ever is on the Calendar for the day of the birth.