Friday, July 22, 2005

Finished the book

We finished the book tonight. Except for 4 chapters I read aloud, my wife read the whole thing to me. Because of the collar I am forced to wear reading comfortably is difficult for me. She is an amazing woman.

I have some comments.............
1) Gee, do you think there could there have been a stronger indication that there will be a resurrection of in the next book?
2) WOW! What an amazing act of mercy on the part of the killer and the killed.
3) I'm glad Fleur is finally accepted by her future mother-in-law. I was as moved by that scene as any thing else.
4) Lavender brown was a much under-developed character, unless we were supposed to see as much of her as Ron saw.

3 comments:

Huw Richardson said...

Sometimes the character maps don't hold but I think we were supposed to see as much of Lavender as *Harry* saw... so yes, she was very underdeveloped.

What resurrection do you see? You're the second person to infer one and I'm not at all sure. I don't think that any of the dead will be coming back to life. The last book was seen as implying a return of Sirius in this book... but I think the only thing that may happen in book 7 will be like Luke "seeing" his Father, Yoda and Obi-Wan at the end of "Return of the Jedi".

For an interesting read, John Granger has some *really* loopy ideas about book 7 over at his http://www.hogwartsprofessor.com/

Matt said...

I think there will be a resurrection because of the phoenix flying into the tomb during the funeral. I think John Granger is so wrapped up in the peacock borders between segments of the alchemical process that he is missing the plain meaning of the phoenix: Resurrection.

Matt said...

Oh! I think you are right about us only seeing in Lavender what Harry sees in Lavender. That makes much more sense than what I thought formerly.