Sunday, July 03, 2005

The Man Chosen by God

When my family came to Holy Trinity Cathedral it was just a few weeks after Rob's wife Claudia had died from cancer. We went to the blessing of her tombstone on 1 year anniversary of her burial and prayed for her. The little boy and I visted her grave a few months ago and prayed for her again. We never knew her but we knew Rob and had been in the house where they lived - we knew that Claudia must have been an excellent wife. We hope to see her in heaven or the resurection. (I'm not clear on my eschatology.) But life goes on and just about 3 or 4 weeks ago Rob married a beautiful woman named Joanna.

Well, as any reader of this blog knows, Fr. Victor has been healed of lung cancer. But I still worry. Every time he coughs my heart skips a beat, and I look at him closely to see if he is steady on his feet. (He always is.) But today he coughed a couple of times while serving the liturgy. And then at the end of the liturgy he started talking about what it was like to have cancer and how he loves all of us, and how he relied on us. I was so afraid that he was going to say the cancer was back. Then he said something just as horrible. Joanna has cancer. The prognosis is grim.

After telling us and giving words of encouragement to Rob and Joanna he turned and faced the altar saying, "Again and again on bended knees let us pray to the Lord...." and we all knelt and with tears implored the Lord of Life to heal her.

All I can think is that Rob must be an amazing man to be twice chosen to carry this cross.

4 comments:

Elizabeth @ The Garden Window said...

Lord, have mercy upon Rob and Joanna.May God grant her peace, health and strength.
What a blow for Rob to endure again....but Death is not the end, thank God.
Death is a temporary separation from those whom we - and God- love.

Huw Richardson said...

Matt - thank you for letting us know. PLEASE please, send Rob my love (if he remembers me, that is) and assure them of my unworthy prayers.

Rob has lived through this, which amazes me, and took another risk, which equally amazes me, and learns to love ever more. God gives us the Holy Mysteries we need...

existentialist said...

Thank you for this post. You know I have been thinking of people who have suffered with cancer, Isaac, Matushka Elaine, my grandmother. It kind of puts things in perspective for me. Elder Paisios the New of Mount Athos actually was said to have prayed for cancer. I bought this book from godfather's bookstore, Desert Wisdom Bookstore. It is good to be reminded of cancer. I may do a post by Elder Paisos the New as a result of your post. It is also good to be reminded of remarriage, that is possible and blessed. Even the bishop told me that when I spoke to him on the phone. So there is hope after all. And the fact that Father Victor was healed of cancer is miraculous! Oh I liked how you admitted you were not clear on your eschatology. Very humble, very touching.

Mimi said...

Lord have Mercy! Joanna is in my prayers, as all who love her are!