Saturday, July 02, 2005

One Day, Two Fun Events!

Wow! What a day! This moring and after noon we had a pool party. The little boys godmother, my brother, his wife, their daughter, her husband, their son, my wife, our son, my friend Jeff, his wife, their son, and my wife's friend. I know you are all wondering, What did we eat? Sushi, spring rolls, roasted shallot dip with chips, spicy chicken kabobs, fruit kabobs, iced tea, lemonade, raspberry Italian sodas, crudite with dill dip and ranch dressing, fresh cherries and pineapple, and for dessert my wife made "oysters" out of madelines and ice cream. It was a lot of fun. Unfortunately, I have a bad ear from the flu I had a few weeks ago so I wasn't able to get in the water.

Tonight, my friend Jeff brought a group of men from his church to visit my church. It was really neat. After the Vigil they got a tour of the church from one of the readers and then we walked about two blocks up the hill to a sushi place where I answered their questions for about an hour. I think they enjoyed it. There was one question that was so neat. It was neat because of the sencerity and guilessness of it. One man asked, "What about the 10 Commandments? What does your church think of them?" I loved it! He was starting at the basics and going from there. Later on there were questions about spiritual growth, about the the change in the bread and wine, about Mary, and about relics. But the Ten Commandment question was excellent.

Well, it is late and I am tired. Can't wait for church tomorrow!

3 comments:

Huw Richardson said...

But what was the reply?

existentialist said...

You travel a long way to go to church? What about Saratoga? Today Olga and Natalya came up to the monastery. John directs the choir. Father Basil is the priest. I have never been, but isn't Saratoga closer than San Francisco? You know I used to live with John, right?

Matt said...

Huw, I said, "We obey them" and pointed to the stained glass window on the west wall where they are enumerated.

Olympiada, Yes. Saratogs is 5 minutes from whee we live. But we HATE changing parishes. We already know everyone at HTC and are used to Confession to Fathers Victor and David. Plus most of our godparents are in that parish.
But I do love Fr. Basil's voice. I love it when he visits HTC.
Didn't everyone at Synaxsis live together at 20 Steiner?

Agent Sillyboots, Thank you. I didn't know that.