Friday, September 17, 2004

Long Day

Long day, but much fun. The little boy and I spent most of it playing. But we didn't go swimming. I think I mentioned the slipped cartilige in my left jaw. Well, it turns out that I have an ear infection. Swimming makes it worse. So for the next couple of weeks no pool for me. But we did spend a couple of hours watering the grass with a hose. Well, he spent a goodly amount of time watering me. It was fun.

Cyndi and I are cooking for the parish on Sunday. Well, we actually started the cooking tonight. Made a tray of Hello Dolly. (Cyndi thinks they'll stay fresh. She knows about things like that.) Tomorrow we will make the pecan pies, brine the chickens, and do as much of the other prep work as possible. Of course, this means we're going to miss Glendi! this year. Oh, well. If the Lord tarries, perhaps, we can make next year.

Those of you who prayed for Cyndi's job interview: Thank you. It looks like she got the job. She doesn't know her start date yet.

If you get a chance, pray for H. He is my son's Godfather and is afflicted by a hurricane right now.

Gotta like a Sec. of State with a sense of humor:
Washington Times asks Powell if he intends to stay on for a second term. Powell to aide: "Oh, God. I thought I told you, Emily, to call over and tell them. . . I serve at the pleasure of the president."

School starts Monday. Filled with trepidation.

This just in from the Saying it like it is Desk:
David Gelernter in the The Weekly Standard said George Soros' comparison of America to Nazi Germany:
Has the Republican Congress decreed a U.S. version of the Nuremberg race laws? Has the administration transformed every American news source into a propaganda machine? Demanded that Jews (or anyone) be fired? That Jewish (or any other kind of) shops, businesses, professionals be boycotted? Propaganda posters everywhere? Students thrown out of schools? Secret police grabbing people off the streets? Children urged to inform on parents? All opposition parties banned? Churches harassed? A "Bush Youth" that every "Aryan" boy must join? Storm-troopers holding torchlight parades, singing hate-mongering war songs? Gigantic communal fines levied against Jews (or anyone else)? State-sponsored pogroms? Massive regimentation and rearmament? A führer cult and special schools to train disciples? Brutal suppression of all regime opponents? No? Actually America under Bush resembles Nazi Germany in no way whatsoever, isn't that so?

3 comments:

Matt said...

Douglas, I'm honored that you'd link to my blog. I saw that you are Antiochian. Is St. Stephen's your parish?

Matt said...

Never mind. I answered my own question by clicking on the link to your parish that you put on your blog. My wife and I go to the weekday services there during Great Lent. And we visited your parish on the last Sunday of Orthodoxy. WOW! You have a lot of people! I glad we were early. If we hadn't been there would have been no place to stand.

Matt said...

Yep. We drive up to SF every Sunday and most Saturdays. But now that I am starting school full-time I will only be able to make it up there once or twice a month.

Thanks for the info on the Altar consecration. We'll be there.