Thursday, September 23, 2004

Long day yesterday. THoughts on being a dad.

School went from 3pm to 10 pm with only a couple of 10 minute breaks. After school went grocery shopping. The little boy wanted bacon and eggs for breakfast yesterday but I didn't have any for him. I wanted to make sure I had some for him this morning. Anyway, I can already tell that Clinical Procedures is going to be my favorite class this quarter. Math is just hard work.

I Just read this article and it got me to thinking about what I can do to make my little boy strong and competitive. I've given lots of thought to how I will make him gentle and humble and compassionate. But not much thought to developing these other more typically masculine charachter traits.

I guess forcing him to learn how to swim and to jump into the pool even when he is afraid has been a good thing. I did it mainly because we have a pool and it would be dangerous for him not to be comfortable in the water, able to swim to the side an pull himself out. I have no desire to find a dead 2 year old floating in the pool. But now I'm thinking that it was a good character development exercise too. Maybe he has learned that if he faces his fears and works hard he can overcome that of which he is afraid.

But what next? He's only two and his mom and I have amazing nutso schedules. (We don't even see each other awake except for on weekends. And do you know what this does sex? It might as well be Great Lent! But that is a different problem. Right now I'm talking about being a dad.) I think I need to make an effort to take him to the woods, or to the beach and let him does some exploring falling down getting knoked over gettings bruised and scraped.

As for sports (not something I've ever been good at) I guess I'll try to get him into a rugby league or something. And, of course when he is four I'll teach him how to handle a pistol and shoot without blinking. When he is nine he can join the cub scouts.

2 comments:

Pintradex said...

Keep the 'dad stories' coming. Concerning "Great Lent", try wearing one of those snazzy Beau Ties.

Matt said...

Thank you both for your kind words. I'm glad you are enjoying this blog. I'll keep writing about being a dad.