Monday, September 20, 2004

Communion

I wasn't able to go to Communion yesterday. And it kind of bummed me out. Anyway, I've been thinking about communion and how St. Ignatius of Antioch really turned me around. He really turned me around on two things: Communion and the Church. Here is one of my fave St. Ignatius quotes:

"Let no one do any of the things pertaining to the Church without the bishop. Let that be considered a certain Eucharist which is celebrated by the bishop or by one whom he appoints. Wherever the bishop appears, let the congregation be present, just as wherever Jesus Christ is, there is the Catholic Church." (Letter to Church of Smyrna)

Why is it one of my favorites? Because it give me so much comfort. The last couple of years that I was a protestant I was plagued by doubt. But here St. Ignatius tells us how to be certain. I know a lot of people make a big deal out of the mystical nature of the Orthodox Church. But I love it for its concrete-ness.... I see it, taste it, smell it. I know where it is. I listen to the bishop or, more often "one whom he appoints" leads me in the liturgy and I have no doubts. Sometimes I feel like the Apostle Thomas. I want to feel the holes in his hands and side. But Jesus wants more than that. He offers me his blood for drink and his flesh for food.

Jesus offers more than just the facts of his life. He doesn't just give us the four Gospels and say "Learn my biography. Test is on Friday." The life of his church is not just a big Bible-Trivia game. (Which is sometimes what it seemed like to me when I was a Protestant.)

The Apostle John says as much in the opening of his first letter.

"That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we have looked upon, and our hands have handled, of the Word of life; (For the life was manifested, and we have seen it, and bear witness, and shew unto you that eternal life, which was with the Father, and was manifested unto us;) That which we have seen and heard declare we unto you, that ye also may have fellowship with us: and truly our fellowship is with the Father, and with his Son Jesus Christ."

He gives us the facts: "Heard", "seen", "looked upon", "handled". But what is the meaning of that physical reality? "Fellowship". In the liturgy, in the chalice, God comes to me (because I can't get to where he is) and is not just handled, seen, and looked upon, but is truely eaten and becomes part of me. He lets me be with Him. The cherubim puts down his flaming sword and I am allowed to eat of the Tree of Life.

2 comments:

Pintradex said...

Hi Matt. Ignatius was instrumental in my journey as well. Made me feel as though I was getting closer to the Source.

Don't want to get too off topic but I was listening to a swingin' Sinatra tune as I read your profile. Your blog has a vibe. I dig.

Matt said...

Glad to have any complementary vibing going on.