Saturday, September 18, 2004

Gossip

Blessed Seraphim Rose said, "How much hope there is for those who do not trust in themselves too much and are not overly-critical of others! And how little hope for those whose orientation is the opposite!"

I have a friend who, it seems to me, is very quick to bring me news of the moral failings of Christians in public life, especially if those Christians are Pentecostal/Charismatic TV preachers. But he is also quick to tell me of the moral failings of other people not famous, but known to both of us. I used to think he was really bad for being a gossip. I used to think I was better than my friend because I did not go running to tell him the failings of others. As I was thinking about this today I saw that my feeling superior to him was just as wicked as his gossiping.

Sin sure is sneaky.

No comments: