Saturday, May 17, 2008

What Goes Over A Kid's Head: Saturday Saoundtrack

This is such is bizarre song. And the weirdest kookiest part about it is that I remember riding around in the car with my mother in the summer of 1976 singing along when it would come on the radio. It was the bicentennial of the United States and everything was red, white and blue, even the fire hydrants in my town were red, white an blue. Fireworks were everywhere. So it kind of makes sense that I thought the song was about fireworks. I had no idea what it was really about. Here it is, Afternoon Delight by the Starland Vocal Band, the greatest One Hit Wonder of all time. (Do you remember their variety show on CBS? I do. It was only on for a few weeks but it was the show that introduced me to the genius political satire ofMark Russell.)

2 comments:

Cha said...

I remember this song, too.
My dad (who was a bit hard of hearing) loved it until he actually heard all the words.

Same thing with another song which was popular about that time, "Night Things." He always thought that Ronnie Milsap was singing "I'm having daydreams about nice things."

Funny.

:-)

Matt said...

That is very funny.