Thursday, May 15, 2008

Oath of Office

I, [name], do solemnly swear, (or affirm,) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter. So help me God.






Zach, my good friend of many years has taken the Oath and, in a few days, will be reporting soon to the U.S. Navy Officer Candidate School in Newport, where he will study Engineering, Military Indoctrination, Naval History, Navigation, Seamanship, Damage Control, Naval Leadership, Administration, Military Law, Naval Warfare, and Electronics. (He has a degree in electrical engineering so this last part should be easy for him.) In addition to academics, the physical training program, which consists of running augmented by calisthenics and aquatic training, is extremely fast paced and begins almost immediately upon arrival. If he makes it through the meat grinder of OCS he will put on the gold bars of an ensign and become a leader in the most powerful navy on the seas. God protect him and give him wisdom, patience, and strength.

No comments: