Friday, May 16, 2008

This and that at the end of a very good day.

We have been so busy around here that today seemed like a vacation. We started out by sleeping it to about 8. Then we hopped in the car to go to the Lawrence Hall of Science. But traffic was so bad that an hour into the trip we had only made it as far north as San Mateo. So we turned around and went to the YMCA for a swim. Then we went to a salad bar for lunch. Then to see Prince Caspian. It was such a good day it really did seem like a vacation. You might be thinking, "How can that seem like a vacation?" Well, it would be hard to tell you what the last 4 months have been like. But I will try.

Not one night in the last 4 months have Cyndi or I had more than 6 hours sleep. Many of my nights were no longer than 4 hours. Our schedules were like that until the 14th when we were both finished with the semester. In fact, our schedules have been so nuts that, this evening, when I asked my wife what she would like to do for our anniversary - wait. What I actually said was, "Isn't our anniversary coming up soon?"
She looked at me with shock, horror, regrret, and dissapointment and said, "Oh, Honey! It was last week. I am so sorry!"
"Are you sure? Isn't it in a couple of weeks?"
"No. It was the day after Mother's Day." Neither of us could forget Mother's Day. This year, for the first time, neither of us has a mother.
I asked, "How long have we been married? 8 years?"
"No, I think only 7."
"Are you sure? He's six", I said pointing at Anselm. "We must have been married 8 years."
"Matt, he was conceived before we had been married a month."
"It's hard to remember. I guess your're right. I'm sorry."
"I'm sorry, too."

In other news: My wife will be made a Master of Public Administration tomorrow. Yes, the faculty at the Jesuit University of San Francisco are making her dress up and walk across a stage. (Actually shell walk across the sanctuary of St. Ignatius Church, which seems a little queer to us, considering that it is a place only clergy are supposed to go. Neither of us would even think about walking into the equivalent part of a an Orthodox temple. But it is their church not ours.) Did I mention that her grades are perfect? Yes, really. She has a 4.0 GPA If she decides to go on for a Ph.D. she will have no trouble getting a fellowship to pay for it. But she says she is through with school. We are all very excited. I had her academic regalia - consisting of black Masters robe (Oxford M.A. style, as is customary in America), green and gold (colors of the school) lined hood (the colors of the school) with peacock blue velvet trim around the edges - pressed a few days ago. Its hanging on the back of the door. Camera is ready. Keg of beer and keg of root beer are in the back of the car. My sister-in-law says she is ready to host the reception tomorrow. We are all set to go! I am so proud of her that I don't even know how to begin telling you. It has been a very hard two years for her. New baby, three new jobs, and full-time school. She is amazing.

In case you are wondering, Prince Caspian is a very good movie. They had to change some things from the book, but overall, it works. And I must say, the werewolf, speaking Lewis's exact words, is very scary. And the Trees! Oh My! They were everything we wished the trees in Peter Jackson's LOTR had been.

The heat seems to be making Basil sick.

Prayer request: My brother-in-law has some frightening symptoms. Tests so far have been inconclusive. More tests are scheduled. His name is Daniel.

1 comment:

Mimi said...

I am looking forward to seeing it, and congratulations to your lovely wife!