Monday, June 06, 2005

Sickness

The little boy and I are sick. I think my wife is sick, too, but she is pregnant so it is hard to tell. Anyway, we've been sick all week. I've lost my voice. Only slept 3 hours last night. Miserable. The little boy has been asleep for the last 5 hours. I hope he manages to sleep longer. Sleep is the only relief. Well, I suppose heroin would be a relief, too, but I don't know where to get any of that.

On saturday morning I dragged myself out of bed and all three of us went to see my friend Jeff receive a M.A.T. degree from Fuller Seminary. The main campus is in Pasadena, but in Northern California they occupy one wing of St. Patrick's Seminary in Menlo Park. I think it is kind of weird that the Roman Catholics let the Protestants use their buldings, what with the anathemas and everything. But, hey, that's just history. Besides, I'm not Roman Catholic or Protestant. But it is disturbing to me to see people not behaving consistantly with what they profess. If you say you believe something, act like you believe it.

Four things that were interesting:
1. Many Church of God in Christ (a sister denomination to the denomination I grew up in.) people were at the ceremony. I didn't know they were such big supporters of seminary education.
2. The staind glass windows in the chapel were very pretty. At the top of each window was a large image of a saint, in at the bottom of the window was a large depiction event from the life of Jesus. In the middle of the window was small circle showing the Old Testament type. For instance, the window that contained a picture Jesus bearing his Cross to Calvary also contained a picture of Isaac bearing the faggot to Moriah.
3. There were protestant faculty sitting infront of the altar on the elevated sactuary of the chapel. (click here and scroll down to "Renovation: 1989 - 1993" to see what I am talking about.) I was surprised by that. I would have thought that even if the Roman Catholics did not object, the Protestant theologians would have known better.
4. All of the songs that were sung were like Christianity-lite. There was nothing incorect about them, they were just not enough. I don't really know how to describe it other than by saying that something was missing. I think the best analog I can think of is saying that vanilla is a flavor of ice cream. That is a true statement but it does not even approach a definition of vanilla.

We were to sick to stay for the party after the graduation. We just came home and craweled back into bed. No church on Saturday night or on Sunday. Almost nothing accomplished today, either.

No comments: