Saturday, June 21, 2008

How do you comfort a grieving mother?

Today was the memorial service for my friend Zach. I have been to more funerals and memorial services in the last 7 years than all the rest of my years put together. In the last seven years at least eleven friends or family members have died. I am tired of bitter tears. I'd like to see a few more births, weddings, and baptisms before I have to go to another funeral or memorial service.

It has been a long tiring day. Drove to Fresno (by way of SF and Oakland to pick up friends at airport) and back; several hours in the car each way. Going to bed now. Divine liturgy and the Fountain of Immortality in the morning.

3 comments:

Athanasia said...

Ah Matt....sadly one does not comfort a grieving mother. One only hugs them and allows their tears to intermingle.

There should be a law that no mother or father should have to bury their deceased children. It's unfair and just flat out wrong.

May God have mercy on Zach's mother and all his friends who grieve so deeply. May His face shine upon you all.

Mimi said...

I agree with Philippa, the receptionist in our office just lost her brother and was discussing the same thing.

Lord have Mercy, and Memory Eternal.

Don said...

Ow, Matt. I'm so sorry.

You and I went through a similar experience at roughly the same time. While I think Philippa and Mimi are right in that there truly is no way to comfort a grieving mother, I did have the chance to thank my friend's parents, quietly, for giving us the gift of their son. I wanted them to know that my life was richer because I knew him.

His mother smiled, kissed me on the cheek, and told me she loved me. Inside, I felt like I said the right thing in a moment where I was at a true loss for words.

She was also happy when I called her last night to see how she was doing. She's not well, and who would be, but she sure did welcome the opportunity to spend some time with an old friend of her son's.


God bless Zach's family and friends. May his memory be eternal.