Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Fundamental Failure

Lately, I have been reading more news sites of foreign origin that news sites of US origin. Not only do they cover more of the things in which I am interested, but, oddly, they do a better job reporting on US politics. An example is this story from the Telegraph about Richard Danzig's utterly nuts ideas about national security.

"Richard Danzig, who served as Navy Secretary under President Clinton and is tipped to become National Security Adviser in an Obama White House, told a major foreign policy conference in Washington that the future of US strategy in the war on terrorism should follow a lesson from the pages of Winnie the Pooh, which can be shortened to: if it is causing you too much pain, try something else."


Why is what Richard Danzig said important? Because he advises Senator Obama but fails to understand the nature of war. It hurts. It is hard. It is horrible. But we persevere. Imagine the Army at Valley Forge saying, "Blimey! It's cold. I think I'm going to try going home now to thaw my feet and drink some hot soup.", or the Marines at Guadalcanal saying, "Hey, they have bullets! I think I'm going to try something that causes less pain, like getting back on the boat and going back to Hawaii."

No comments: