Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Has an Invitation been offered?

I have one worry about Orthodoxy. Maybe it is unfounded. Maybe things are happening that I am unaware of. But I worry that we are not explicitly asking people who obviously love Jesus to join themselves to his Church. I just read about a bishop in the C of E named Nazir who seems to believe Jesus is who the Gospels say he is. And I just have to ask, does he know about us? Has anyone said,"Bishop Nazir, did you know there is a Church that holds all the truths you hold and wants to see England saved? Come and see." I worry that our ecumenical officers spend to much time in "dialogue" with other churches' buearocrats instead of simply saying to individual people in those churches, "The Creed says..., we are the Church mentioned in the Creed, come and worship Jesus with us". I think we need a many fewer ecumenical dialoguers and many more Orthodox apologists.

2 comments:

Elizabeth @ The Garden Window said...

This is a very good question. I wish I knew the answer.

Hostorically, Orthodox in the UK have been very wary of "seeking" converts from Anglicanism.

This is mainly because of the immense courtesy and hospitality our generally small and widespread communities have had in being allowed and often encouraged to use Anglican churches to hold services.

We have what they want and need.

Matt said...

I had no idea the CofE was treating us so well. I will thank God for that.

An thank you for letting me know.