Sunday, October 24, 2004

Catching up.

Well it has been a few days since I've posted and I have a lot to write about.

I think I have come to a decision that I am going to work a little less hard at school and just accept the fact that my GPA is going to have to slip. (my GPA from many years ago was 3.78). I used to live in fear of a "B". I just don't have that much time for homework anymore. My new motto: "C's earn degrees".

Aikido is kicking my butt, rather, my shoulder. Although the instructor says I have natural ability and thinks I should train at a real dojo and not in a collge PE program, I'm not sure I want to pursue aikido. Every time I go to class I get hurt! I am very good an flowing with my opponents, avoiding their attacks, and dropping them; I am really bad at falling, which is how I keep getting hurt. I weigh 270 lbs. That is a lot of mass to have to direct into a safe fall. Oh, I still don't know about all of this "Ki" stuff, either. I think its bunk. I think it is just balance. However, I do know that when I pretend I am dropping a heavy medicine ball on my opponents chest in one technique they go down really hard. When the instructor asked how I was doing it and I told him about the medicine ball, he said most people imagine dropping the Sun (which is Ki) on their oponent but that if a medicine ball works for me, keep doing that. But I don't think that is Ki . I think imagining the medicine ball just helps me maintain balance and move more forcefully.

Went to church last night and this morning. It was good. I love it. There is nothing like getting to go to confession on Saturday and then Communion on Sunday. If I were still in advertising I'd probably write something like: Two Days! Two Mysteries! Don't miss this chance to be transformed! Bring the wife! Bring the kids! This Saturday and Sunday only! Be there be there be there!

A new member cooked the meal after church today. She also made kolyva in memoroy of her father Dimitri. (Memory Eternal!) Nice woman. Only in town for a couple of years while she goes to dental school.

Talked to Father David about helping him with a bond issue for Raphael House. They are looking at starting a for-profit real estate holding company to sustain their non-profit activities. Currently, they have a tiny endowment and are 90% current-doner-funded.

After Church today we drove south along Hwy 1 from San Francisco to Half Moon Bay. Stopped at a farm to buy pumpkins. We don't celebrate halloween really. No dressing up. No trick or treating. But it is fun to make jack-o-lanterns. Too bad about all the spooky stuff. Heard lots of stories about the origin of halloween. Don't know how true any of them are. But even if none of them are true, I don't like the celebration. I know that in my dark days I used to sin a lot on halloween. Costume parties and liquor. Bad combination. Nevertheless, pumpkin carving is fun. And it was fun being on the farm where pumpkins are grown, watching the little boy walkiing around the field, picking out pumpkins. Eventually, chose three a little larger than softballs. But he liked sitting on the big ones.

After that we drove to my sister's house in Sunnyvale for my great niece's 4th birthday party. It was a lot of fun. But the little boyu got spazzed on candy. Also, he was a little bit afraid of the pinata. But he had fun. But he was so tired that when we got home he said "evening prayers." so, eventhouugh it was still light outside we changed him in to his jammies and he went to bed.

Tonight, Cyndi made something very yummy. Two things, actually. One was Carolina Cole Slaw. The other was her own recipe. I could have eaten much more of it but I am really trying hard not to be a glutton anymore. (Pray for me?) Anyway, here is the recipe. I highly recomend it.


Cyndi's Butternut Happy Dish. (That's my name for it. She just calls it Squash and Rice.)

Ingredients:
4 cups organic chicken or organic vegitable broth
2 cups organic whole grain brown rice
1 tsp organic cumin
1 peeled and cubed (1/2 in to 1 inch cubes) organic butternut squash.
Organic raisins.

Add all ingredints (except raisins) in a large non-stick pan, cook on stovetop until rice is tender. Do not stir too much or the squash will fall apart.
At the end, when the rice is done, stir in 1/2 cup or more raisins.


I think we are going to have this on Thanksgiving, too.

3 comments:

Matt said...

Yeah. We'll meet sometime. You know, we visited your parish a few times during lent and thought it was small. But that was for the singing of the Great Canon. Then we visited on Sunday of Orthodoxy and could barely find a place to stand. You guys are HUGE! Need a new bldg. Are you shopping around?

Karl said...

"C's earn degrees..."

Yep. With a baby on the way, teaching part time and working full time, I've had to come to the same concession. ALthough, I'm still pulling a B in my Lit Crit class--I'll take it!

Matt said...

That is a good quote! I am going to use it. Thanks.