Friday, October 08, 2004

Ass kickin' and a cool photoshop

Aikido tonight was pretty good. learned a new throw. Oh, by the way, what I have discovered about Aikido is that you don't really throw people; you mostly get out of the way and help them fall down. Nevertheless, I got my ass kicked tonight. It was my fault, I had a lot of momentum going into a falling back roll and and went too far. Not only that but I forgot to move my head out of the way. OUCH!!! And then near the end of class when I was tired, I sat down instead of rolled and sent a jolt trhough my spine. OUCH! I stood off the mat for the last 15 minutes of class. But the throw I learned was cool!

Aikido and Orthodoxy: At first I was a little freaked out that I had to bow toward a picture of the founder of Aikido at the beginning and end of every class; that is what I do to Icons. But tonight I remembered that just as I do not worship Icons, yet I bow to them, and just as Abraham bowed to the people he bought land from with out worshiping them, I can bow to a picture of the founder of Aikido (he was a nut, if you ask me.) and not worship him.

Oh, the PhotoShop: If you were a nerd (like me) 20-25 years ago you will recognize this scene.

Oh, one more thing. As I was putting the little boy down for his nap today, I sang to him "The Streets of Laredo". After the line "....I am a young cowboy and I know I've done wrong", the little boys said "Me a cowboy". Now here is why this is so cute.... he has never seen a cow boy. I said "It hard work to be a cowboy"
"Okay"
"You have to strong to ride a horse all day"
"Ride horse?" (Big eyes)
"Do you think you can do that?"
"Yeah"
"You'll have to wear a hat and drive cattle and sleep out on the range"
"Me have a hat. Cowboy. Mooo."

Oh, one last thing, Speaking of cowboys reminded me of this.

3 comments:

Matt said...

Yeah, the family thing is hard. My wife and son and I are the only Orthodox in a very large family. I let my parents give whatever gifts they want to give. They have their own relationship with my son. Thankfully, my parents tend to give practical presents.

Matteo said...

Matt--

James Lileks has a great column today. He has a nice dialog with his 4 year old daughter that your dialog with the boy reminded me of.

Matteo said...

D'oh!

Here's the link:

http://www.lileks.com/bleats/archive/04/1004/101104.html