Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Traditions?

I think we all know the St. Nicholas' Day, St. Catherine's Day, and St. Lucy's Day traditions, but there are five Advent Saints who are really big deals who, as far as I know, have no celebratory traditions. So, does anyone know of any special ways (I mean other than a Divine Liturgy) to celebrate Ss. Matthew, Ambrose, Ignatius, Spyridon, and Herman? And other than eating fish, are there any customs that go with the feast of the Entrance of the Theotokos?

8 comments:

Mimi said...

It seems that I have heard of some for Sts. Herman and Spyridon, I'll do some research.

Hugs, Matt, I've been where you are and I know it is a difficult time.

Mimi said...

I've asked a friend who attends St. Spiridon's church, she's doing some research for you.

Matt said...

thanks, Mimi!
Hey, I have something for you and need your mailing address.

Matt said...

I would think eating ham would be involved since serving someone ham during Great Lent is something for which he is famous. BUt his day is during Nativity Fast when we don't eat meat so that doesn't seem right.

Mimi said...

Do you have my email addy? If so, send me a note and I'll send you my addy. Thank you so kindly, I'm touched.

Mimi said...

Maybe you can fashion some tofu ham? Or, you know, Yves makes a really yummy soy lunch meat that may work.

Matt said...

URRRRGHH!!!! Tofu ham!!!! YUCKKK!

I dig the fasts but I think the fake meat is just gross. I like my Tofu plain or in miso soup.

I don't have your email address. Here is mine: matt dot karnes at gmail dot com

Mimi said...

Giggle.

I am neutral on the lunch meat thing, but I do really like tofu sausage and the Yves hot dogs are nice too.

Oh, and we eat Boca burgers too.

And, I love miso and tofu too. I'm just pro-soy, I guess.

I'm emailing you now, so you can edit if you wanted to.