Saturday, November 08, 2008

Don't Throw Our Love Away: Saturday Soundtrack

For the kind of music it is, this is a great song. It also appears in a funny scene in the movie More American Grafitti, which is where I first heard it when I was 10 or 11 years old.

An interesting thing to me is that, in a way, this film helped me understand so many of the people in my life. I was living in Ukiah, surrounded by both straights and weirds. The little town of 12,000 people, just 2 hours north of San Francisco had hippies, draft-dodgers, lumber jacks, veterans, health food pioneers, saw mill workers, witches, Christians, Hare Krishnas, pot growers, boy scouts, business people, and farmers. (It used to be the "pear capital of the world" but the pear trees have been ripped out for wine grapes.) Looking back, one of the things I think is fascinating, is that all of these different kinds of people lived together and often, at least it seemed so to me, had no idea what was going on with the kinds of people not like themselves. That's what this song reminds me of. Not because of anything in the song, but because of how the song was used in the movie. If you haven't seen the movie, maybe you should. I haven't seen it since 1980 or 1981, but if I remember it correctly, it gives a pretty good explanation of how America got to where it is today.

No comments: