Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Simple and Good

One ting that is difficult for me during the fast, and I bet I'm not the only one, is making simple food. I am often tempted to make more complicated meals using various fast-friendly substitutes. But that detracts from the benefits of the fast. Two simple meals that take little time and are pretty good are as follows:

On oil days: spaghetti, garlic (or chopped green onions), salt, pepper, olive oil.

On non-oil days: Put a hunk of old hard bagguette in a bowl and pour hot vegetable stock over it. During the fasts always have a box or two of vegie stock in the cabinet.

On fish days: Well those are feast days so don't try to be simple and plain. Besides there are only a couple (Fish for St. Herman, right? No?)

7 comments:

Mimi said...

I'm telling you, dough in the fridge, I'm loving it!

And, it seems there are a *lot* of fish days, up until St. Herman's day, but I don't eat fish, so I'm not the one to ask, check your calendar (does your parish have those nifty ones with the pink shading?)

Matt said...

Yes. But they sold out before I got one. It has been very inconvenient. I have sad feeling that I have missed many wine days. :(

I looked on the OCA website but it didn't have info on fish or wine & oil days. If it isn't too much trouble, could you post the fish days during this fast?

Mimi said...

Tonight, I will check my calendar and post tomorrow morning, I'm sorry you've missed them.

IIRC, Monday of this week was the only non-wine day, and I think there are a few fish days this week too - definitely the Feast on Friday.

Mimi said...

Ok, FWO days = today (sorry), 11/21-23; 11/29-30; 12/5-7; 12/13-14.
WO dats= 11/20,25,27. 12/4/9/11/16/18/20/21/23

Hope that helps. If you miss out again in 2009 let me know and I'll send you one of ours.

Mimi said...

dats should be days, whoops.

Matt said...

Thanks, Mimi. That is super nice of you. And WOW! That is a lot of fish days. Better break out the hook and line.

Mimi said...

Indeed, get that line out!

I thought it seemed like a lot too, but then I don't don't do the fish days (but enjoy wine on those days)