Saturday, November 01, 2008

Sing Hosana: Saturday Soundtrack


This is a little diferent from my usual Saturday Soundtrack posting, but this is a song I sang every week in Sunnyvale Christian School's (It was called Southbay Christian School when it closed its doors forever in 2002) chapel service, and I imagine several million children sing it every week all over the English-speaking world. What brought it to mind today is what brings it to mind every couple of days: I tended the lampada hanging in front of the icon of Jesus. Interestingly, until I had this lampada I had no idea how much oil a lamp needs, it requires refilling about every 2 days. If I let it burn through the night it would require filling every day. There is a lesson there, but you know what it is so I won't elaborate.

There were many videos of the song on youtube. This one is by an outfit called Greenbelt Beer n Hymns. I think they've had a bit of beer since the words seem not completely clear. But the song always starts out with..

"Give me oil in my lamp keep me burnin
Give me oil in my lamp I pray
Give me oil in my lamp keep me burnin, burnin, burnin
Keep me burning till the break of day"

There are other verses such as "love in my heart" and "praise in my mouth", but the kids in chapel liked "gas for my ford/keep me truckin for the Lord" and "Wax for my board/keep me surfin for the Lord" the most.

No comments: