Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Mission Control, we have a Metropolitan.

Well, it is wonderful news. The Orthodox Church in America has a Metropolitan. I haven't had a lot of interaction with him. I've only seen him a couple of times. I know my bishop has a lot of confidence in him. And I knew he was much respected by the two priests who brought me into the Orthodox Church. Oh, I remember this story, too.

We were on a pilgrimage and a priest was acting a little bossy and show-offy about enforcing a certain rule. I remember Abbot Jonah (he is a real monk, formed by years in a monastery, not just a priest who becomes a monk the day before his consecration as bishop. Though there have been many fine bishops, such as St. Ambrose of Milan, who were not monks before they were chosen as bishops.) not contradicting his superior, who was certainly correct, but looking a little embarrassed that a priest was acting that way. A little while later another priest refered to Abbot Jonah as "Bishop Jonah". I asked, "Is that prophecy"? The priest answered, "At this point let's just call it supporting a cause." And that is about all I knew about him until last night when I listend to his speech on behalf of the Holy Synod.

The context for the speech was a situation of grave sin, an embarrassed Holy Synod, and demoralized laity and clergy. The Bishops had been asked many questions in writing and had answered some of them. In my opinion, and it is just mine, some people went to the Council ready to spit on the bishops. It can only have been a tense time. Then Bishop Jonah, who had only been a bishop for 10 days stood before the council and spoke for Jesus.

Click here to hear his speech. It is worth listening to.

That was yesterday. Today this most junior bishop in the Orthodox Church in America (probably the most junior in the world) was chosen to be the most senior bishop in America. Now listen to him today.

I can not begin to tell you how happy this makes me.

2 comments:

DebD said...

The more I hear about him the happier I get. Axios!

Mimi said...

My priest is very good friends with him, and in fact flew to his Ordination at the first of the month.

I am over the moon, Axios!