Thursday, August 28, 2008

Wow! I had no idea.

One of he things that I find to be fascinating about Youtube is this: Songs I grew up singing in little pentecostal churches are astoundingly famous songs. For example if you go to YouTube and search "His Eye Is On The Sparrow" you will get about 1,100 versions of the song. Anyway, here is the song. It is based on some words of Jesus: "Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing and one of them shall not fall on the ground without your Father." Matthew 10:29. I've watched about 30 videos of this song by all kinds of singers. Lauren Hill's version is okay. I guess Mahalia Jackson was the first to record it. But this Korean group I found to be very moving. (BTW: I think Bishop Tikhon was wrong when he said [joked?] that barbershop quartet would be the American contribution to Orthodox music. I think it will be black gospel.)

No comments: