Thursday, August 14, 2008

Worship

One of the first things caused me to doubt the way I was attempting to be a Christian was worship. The church I was attending then had been having problems finding a "worship pastor" (e.g. song leader/choir director) for a couple of years. And the style of the music kept changing. So, the question I was asking myself (all the while, leading an atrocious life. I don't want anyone to think I was a saint thinking about these things.) was this: How does god want to be worshiped? Once, I said to a friend, "I don't think it was the Apostles just sitting around the living room playing guitars and singing praise songs." The look on his face was kind of like "Matt's gone of the deep end." Well, at that point I hadn't read the Didache or St. Justin, so I really didn't know what the earliest Christians were doing. Now, of course, I do know.
There is a Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) pastor who wrote about house churches and the formality of early Christian worship. It is interesting, especially since it is written by a protestant (for now?). Take a look.

2 comments:

Elizabeth @ The Garden Window said...

This was a fascinating article, Matt, and contained much that was new to me. Thanks for posting it !

DebD said...

I saw that on Kevin's blog... and found it to be a great resource.