Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-changes

As John Lenon said, "Life is what happens while you are making other plans".

I work for a property management company. The company manages the real estate investments of its clients. The particular complex of buildings I manage is a sleepy little apartment comunity. At least it was. Now my company is buying it from the client and is redoing the whole thing. What does this mean for me? It means I have contractors swarming the place doing remodels, removing trees, planting trees, painting, building, delivering machinery, digging holes, filling in holes, welding, hammering... in short I have no time for homework. AND in just a few weeks I have gone from 0% vacancy to almost 30% vacancy. It is a lot of work to get these units leased. After 2 weeks of only 3 or 4 hours sleep per night I had to withdraw from school.

I have mixed feelings. I already feel less strain in my marriage. I am definately easier to get a long with now than I was a week ago. It is nice to sleep a whole night. It is good not to stunble through conversations with my boss because I am too sleepy. But, I am delaying my dream. And I might be taking care of the urgent short-term problem at the expense of long-term financial security. (A major reason why I want to be a teacher is the pension plan. My wife and I have very little saved for retirement and we are almost 40.)

No comments: