Monday, April 18, 2005

Pigs and Octopuses

Today, in the big boys ceramics class, we made a dish shaped like a pig. We attempted to do it in the shape of a cow but a pig's head is easier to sculpt.

After ceramics we went shopping. Got a great deal on mussels ($2.70 per lb.) and baby octopus ($3.89 per lb.). We came home and cooked them up in a marinara sauce. Served it with De Cecco penne. It was good. It might be the best penne I've ever had. I'm going to make the same dish but with Barilla penne. Barilla is supposed to be the number one selling pasta in Italy. I want to se if it is better that the excellent penne I had today.

Anyway, the little boy helped me chop up the octopus and scrub the mussels. Usually he goes nuts for mussels and eats a ton of them. But for some reason he only had a couple of them today. But he really like the octopus. He ate quite a bit of it. When we were at the store he wanted me to by some squid, too, but it was kind of expensive at $4.95 per lb. Maybe next time. I wonder why squid costs so much more than octopus. Montery bay is full of squid. They should be pretty cheap.

I think the pool might finally be finished. I've had the city's inspector out 3 times and have had to call the contractor to keep getting little things fixed. But this time I think it is all good. Inspector should be here tomorrow and then I should be able to open the pool for the season.

5 comments:

Matt said...

Philippa,

It looks like neither De Cella nor San Giorgio is available where I live. If I send you some money would you mail them to me?

Huw Richardson said...

Just on a whim I checked... San Giorgio is available at my local Wal*Mart Super Centre...

Anonymous said...

Hey, Matt - I have a question for you (about attending an Orthodox Church when I'm visiting in Los Gatos next month) and I can't find your "email me" link. Would you be so kind as to send me an email at mmewhinneyangel at hotmail.com ?

Thanks!

In Christ,
Michelle

Matt said...

Huw, did you buy it?

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much Matt!

The Orthodox world is filled with helpful people, and I am truly thankful!

In Christ,
Michelle