Saturday, April 16, 2005

Millions, Chocolate Cokes, Pregnancy

Athanasia and I saw Millions today. Except for about 10 seconds of not-the-greatest editing near the end of the film it was one of the 10 best movies I think I've ever seen. I do not usually cry in movies - it's pretend, right?- but this is a tear jerker. Even for me.

I'm sure that some people will be offended at St. Peter's description of the feeding of the 5,000, and I'm sure some people will be offended at some pre-marital sex, and I'm sure some people will be offended at a depiction of an under-age boy attempting to solicit one of his female classmates. That said, it is a wonderful movie. It has St. Nicholas (Cool vestments, by the way. Hmmm... Maybe a nameday present for Bishop Tikhon?) being charitable to Mormons. It has a boy who wants to feed the poor. It has a brother who knows all the angles. It has a great juxtoposition of St. Nicholas and some Christmas-themed adverts. It has a little boy trying to follow saints as they follow Christ.

Well, look. I don't want to ruin this movie for you. I want you to go see it. So, GO! GO NOW! DO NOT DELAY!!!! FLY! Fly like the wind and the Devil take the hindmost!

Oh, what were the other movies that made me cry? Only two. Jungle Book (when Bagheera the panther eulogizes Baloo the bear), and Saving Private Ryan (when Mrs. Ryan receives the death notices of her sons).

Yesterday the big boy and I had to do a few things. First we went to the post office and mailed a birthday present to his oldest brother. (He works on a ranch so I figured a Leatherman tool would be useful.) Then we had to go to downtown San Jose to make a deposit at the bank. While we were there we visted the San Jose Museum of Art (Its FREE!!!) and took a look at thier Blobject show. The big boy touched a car that was on display and had a heard of curators come running into the room shouting "No No don't touch don't touch". And the whole time I'm thinking, "This isn't exactly art. It was built on an assembly line."

Then we went to the Fountain Restaurant at the Fairmont Hotel. You would never know it from looking at their website, but the Fountain has a fabulous old fashioned soda fountain. At the Fountain I bought the boy his first ever chocolate Coke (e.g. Chocolate syrup stirred into Coca-Cola) .

Athanasia is pretty worn out from this pregnancy. She wants to sleep all the time. And she is sick quite often. We had to leave Church early tonight.

Very happy news. We were only barely able to afford the new PT Cruiser we bought earlier this week. Well, something pretty neat happend: Athanasia just got an enormous increase in her salary. I mean H-U-G-E!!! God is very kind to us.

4 comments:

The Singing Butler said...

I never cry at movies except Air Bud, when I was maybe 7, but that bit in the Jungle Book was heartbreaking.

sabbeth said...

I'm just stopping by...I found you skipping through different blogs. I am an orthodox Chrisitan too and have never done lent before this time. I think of God more now than ever.

Elizabeth @ The Garden Window said...

Hi
I`m waiting anxiously for Millions to reach us.
Give my love to Athanasia, and tell her I will be praying - for all of you-,of course, but especially her and the new baby !

Matt said...

TSB, what is Air Bud? I've never heard of it. Thanks for stopping in.

Elisabthie, thank you for stopping by. It is hard not to think of God during Lent. "O, God, help me make it through this. I wand a hamburger so badly!" :0
But, seriously, I'm glad you are doing Lent with us this year. The more people who do it, the easier it s for all of us. More fruitful, too.

Elizabetth, thank you for your prayers. I'll give your message to Athanasia.