Friday, October 02, 2009

Sales

Anselm has been selling Christmas wreaths to raise money for his Cub Scout Pack. So far, he is doing okay. He just has to sell a couple of more to reach his goal. The neatest thing is that he doesn't get discouraged when people say "no" but gets very excited when people say "yes". Instead of just going to the next door when some one buys a wreath he runs all the way home to tell me about it. The money raised will underwrite camping trips, the various medals and patches earned by members of the pack, and the cost of uniforms for new Cub Scouts.

A sad thing to me about selling Christmas Wreaths is that our one Jewish Cub Scout does not participate. Its especially sad because the decorating of the temple gates with wreaths on the first Chaunuckha is the origin of the Christmas Wreath (See 1 Maccabees 4:56-59, and 2 Maccabees 10:6-7). It seems to me that we could put blue ribbon on some of the wreaths and call them Chaunukha wreaths. (In the Christian context, I think, its especially important to see the wreath as a reminder to every Christian that his house is supposed to be a little temple where worship is conducted.)

Or, maybe, we could get the whole Pack together to make Chanukha Pretzel Wreaths.

1 comment:

Janelle thegeekywife said...

Hi, just found your blog. Thanks for the info on the wreath. This will be my first Christmas as an Orthodox(!) and I'm starting to wonder about my old traditions... now I can be at peace and hang up a wreath!

And, I thought the blue ribbon or pretzel making was a very sensitive and kind way to include the Jewish boy.

peace!