Friday, December 28, 2007

Pop Music

I must admit that I do not listen to much Pop music. Most of it is just plain boring. But recently I have heard three songs that really caught my attention. Interestingly, they all contain some throwbacks to prior decades, and all are by British acts.

First, "I don't Feel Like Dancing" by the Scissor Sisters. It is a peppey BeeGees and ABBA influenced song that I dould listen to for hours. Don't ask me what the words are other than the "I Don't Feel like Dancin" line because I could't tell you. And Ironically, this song makes me want to dance.





Second, there is this unfortunate singer who seems to have narcotics and legal problems. I first learned of her from a drudgreport headline, and wondered why she was famous. Only a few days later did I hear this song on NPR. The singer's name is Amy Winehouse. Althought she is british she pronounces her long O's like a New Yorican and has a musical sound that brings Ameircan R&B music into the 21st century. It is a very sad song.





The third song reminds me of that song Music Box Dancer, ABBA, and every band that ever used a drum machine. But the perky happy music is juxtaposed with lyrics that are filed with pure English urban family life troubles. I find the video distracting and recomend listening to this song by Lilly Allen with your eyes closed.

1 comment:

Mimi said...

I adore Amy Winehouse's album, and I so hope she is able to turn her life around.