Friday, September 02, 2005

Take a Little Trip

Usually, I listen to KQED-FM all the time. But the last three times I've hopped behind the wheel and turned on the radio the little boy has said "Daddy! No Radio! I like music."

(We have been listening to School House Rock lately and he says rock and roll is now his favorite music. A couple of weeks ago it was "Church music", before that it was jazz. It seems that his musical tastes are still evolving.)

So I changed the station to find music. I don't normally listen to music on the radio so I don't know what any of the station formats are. I just hit "scan" and stop on the first station that is in English and playing music that has melody, rhyme and meter. (thus, no rap.) Each time the first song I found that met that descripton was "Lowrider" by War. I mean this happened to me three times!!!! In less than a week!!!!

But that is not all. It gets weirder. Each time I was going about 20 mph in a 35 zone, it was dark outside, AND I was in an official "No Cruising Zone"!!!!!

Of course, this can only mean one thing: God is using the radio to talk to me and, obvioulsy, He is saying He wants me to get in touch with my inner-vato.

I'm serious. I might not have a stone lowriding '63 Impala, but I can certainly chop the springs in my PT Cruiser, repaint it a candy green that fades to ultra-violet as you go higher, get a Virgin of Guadalupe painted on the back, stencil a "Mi Vida Loca" on the front, airbrush a Mexican flag on the roof, tint the windows, get chrome, a lot of chrome, maybe even some hydraulics! All I'll need then are some cool shades and Tres Flores for my hair. (According to my middle son, it is the hair care product of choice for all the homies in the know.) There'll be one seriously chillin oso in the westside.

Of course, I'll have to practice cooly saying such things as "Hey ese, check out that vato over there looking all cholo." Anyone can drive a car, but you really have to practice inflection and accent. You don't want all the other vatos to laugh when you say stuff like that.


Lowrider

All my friends know the low rider
The low rider is a little higher
Low rider drives a little slower
Low rider is a real goer
Low rider knows every street yeah!
Low rider is the one to meet yeah!
Low rider don't use no gas now
Low rider don't drive to fast
Take a little trip
Take a little trip
Take a little trip and see
Take a little trip
Take a little trip
Take a little trip with me

1 comment:

Mimi said...

I have a little rocker too!

I'm going to picture you in a tricked out PT Cruiser from now on! tee hee.