Saturday, September 24, 2005

Shocking Idea

Tonight I finished my work (for school) on the Patoral Epistles and the Epistle to Philemon. Here is an exceprt from what I wrote. I don't know what to think of it.

"It is also interesting to see that both St. Mark and St. Luke were in Asia (v.24) with St. Philemon when this letter was written. It is only speculation, but could these have been the friends St. Paul mentioned in 2 Timothy 1:15 and 4:16; the friends who abandoned him at his trial? It is clear that these two letters were written about the same time. Both 2 Timothy and Philemon seem to have been written when St. Paul was old (Phil. v. 9) and approaching his execution date. (2 Timothy 4:6)."

I had never given much thought to Philemon. Now I think it might be one of te saddest things ever written.

1 comment:

Matt said...

My friend Jeff sent me an email abou this post. Here is what he wrote:


Matt,

Yes, I saw this on your blog. You're starting to think like a Protestant!!!!!

Here's my take on it. No, they were not the ones who abandoned Paul in Asia. My reasons for thinking this may not be what you think they might be, but I think they are logical answers.

First, if there was any doubt or speculation back then about whether these two abandoned Paul, would the church have made saints out of them? I rather doubt it.

Second, let us assume ignorance on our part about whether they abandoned Paul or not. God knows whether they did or not. And if this was the case, I do not think they Holy Spirit would have insipred them to write books of Scripture if they had indeed abandoned Paul in his time of need. That is tantamount to abandoning the faith.

What do you think?

Jeff

------

Here is what I replied:

Jeff,

I don't know. Saints have done some amazing sins (St. Peter's judaizing heresy comes to mind) but are still Saints. And I think that St. Luke and St. Mark could have written their Gospels in Rome prior to abandoning St. Paul.

But your argument is compelling. I think that if Paul had been abandoned by Mark and Luke every one would have known about it. It was not (and still isn't) the way of the orthodox to hide a bishop's sins. But, as I wrote, it is speculation. And probably not worthy of Ss. Mark and Luke.

I shouldn't be like an academic theologian and say something new just because no one else has said it. That is very un-Orthodox.

Matt