Monday, September 12, 2005

Le Weekend

I'm still trying to recover from my lack of sleep last week. I don't think I can do that to myself again. I'm not 20 anymore. Back then I could go days and days with only a few hours sleep per night. But I'm middle aged now (I hope). So, no more of that.

Saturday night we went to church at Holy Trinity in San Francisco Saturday night. There seemed to be a class of highschool girls visitg with their teacher. That was interesting. I guess being a tourist destination goes with being the first Orthodox parish in the USA. My wife felt a need to go to confession before she gets any closer to the due date. We haven't talked about it but she seems very worried about what might happen.

Sunday morning we went to church at St. Stephen's in Campbell. We had been thinking about changing to that parish, but it is so big! And they already have outgrown their new building. They will have to move pretty soon. So, it looks like we are still going to be making the trek up to S.F. every week. Not that there aren't some really great things about St. Stephen's. We both like how it seems that everyone in the parish does stuff together. I think that must be a benefit of everyone in the parish living in the same area. At HTC people drive in from as far away as Moraga, Berkely, Pacifica, San Mateo, San Carlos, Fairfax, and San Jose. Visiting a fellow parishoner's house could easily involve a 90 minute drive! But I was chismated at HTC. My wife was Baptised and Chrismated at HTC. The Little Boy was Baptized and Chrismated at HTC. The first time any of us tasted the Body and Blood of Jesus was at HTC. Add to that the familiar Icons and Relics. Where I stand in HTC is very close to the Relics and Icons of St. Eliabeth the New Martyr and several of the American Saints. At any time I can just lean over and whisper to them, kiss them. We wouldn't have that at St. Stephen's. So, we are going to stay at HTC. But I think we are going to contact Fr. Patrick at St. Stephen's about getting involved in one of their small groups.

Other news: My wife is in the running for a job at Stanford: More money, fewer hours per day, better benefits. They have a very long hiring process so she won't know anything for 3 or four months. (which is excellent for s since the baby could come at any minute.) But from a source inside the University we know she is the top candidate. She is pretty excited.

In sad news, after a long fight with cancer Athanasia's grandmother died at the age of 89. It is sad to see her go. She was a link to part of the California past I knew very little about. I never knew about the SunMaid Raisin Wars until she told me about her brother being burned out, about other farmers poisoning vinyards, etc. (You can read more about the agricultural co-ops here.) She is gone now. And her eyewitness memories of part of California's agricultural history is gone with her. We are going to the funeral in Madera on Wednesday. I'm not sure my wife is able to ride in the car that long. Just going to San Francisco on Saturday night was painful for her.

Sunday afternoon, the Little Boy and I went to my brother's house. It is actually a small mansion in the foothills of the Diablo range. From his house you can see most of San Jose and the small cities to San Jose's north and west spread out on the valley floor. Pretty good for a house painter!!! As we were walking through the house the little boy said: "Daddy, why does this house have so many bathrooms?"

4 comments:

Mimi said...

Memory Eternal to Athanasia's Grandmother.

I can understand the stress of deciding to change parishes or not. How far is the drive to San Fran?

Our parish has Bishop Benjamin visiting, and he had an ice cream social with the kids last night, it was fabulous!

Anonymous said...

May her memory be eternal. I'm really sorry for your (and Athansia's) loss.

As I mentioned Sunday, my grandfather also died last week (he was 85). He was a third generation Californian and WWII Navy man and had seen a lot of change here in his time too. I had a chance to see his sister, my great aunt Charlotte (90 years old) on Saturday - and she's full of all kinds of great stories of California from the 30s and 40s. It's amazing to me what treasures human beings can be, and can become in their age.

*

You think St Stephen's is that big a parish? We have about 120 folks, I think. I would have imagined Holy Trinity was bigger, but I've never visited. Anyway, we'd be glad to see you more often, even if only as visitors. We're not moving into a new building anytime soon. We just bought out current place about two years ago. We're working with the city of Campbell to get permission to expand the space a bit, finances permitting.

-Doug

Huw Richardson said...

Memory Eternal!
And please give a hug to Kuma for me!

Matt said...

Thank you all for your prayers for Marion, Athanasia's grandmother.

Doug, 120? That was all? Wow it seemed like more than that. If you expand the city is going to make you put in more bathrooms. $$$$$

HTC is a little parish. I think it only has 40 members. Visitors usually bring sunday attendence up to 60 or 70. There are lots of Orthodox Churches in San Francisco, The big ones are Annunciation and St. Nicholas.