Friday, January 14, 2005

Consecration and Kickbacks

St. Lawrence Church in Felton was recently consecrated. Their website has a very good description of the event.

Last night I was having dinner with someone who works in the same industry I am in. We were both guests of a good friend. During dinner he talked about how there is so much money to be made in kickbacks from contractors. I was shocked. I had never heard someone talk about something so immoral and ilegal over dinner, in a brightly lit room, in the presence of holy icons. I just don't know what to think.

3 comments:

Elizabeth @ The Garden Window said...

I really enjoyed the link describing the consecration of the church; there was loads of info that I never knew before and I found fascinating.

About the kickbacks........did the person not realise it is wrong ? I have learnt never to assume that people have moral knowledge, as a lot of people truly have never been taught right from wrong.
Sad, but true.....

Matt said...

I'm glad you enjoyed the consecration post. I've been in that church a couple of times. It is an old redwood and cedar auction barn that they converted to Church use. The smell of the wood, mixed with the incense is too beutiful for me to describe.

As for the guy and his kickbacks, he grew up in the Soviet Union and imigrated here via Afganistan and 4 refugee camps. Maybe that is why he thinks kickbacks are normal. I think I'm over being stunned by it. Heck, I've done worse in my life. I just try hard (most of the time) not to do evil now.

As my Kum (http://raphael.doxos.com) says, "I'm the only sinner I'll ever know. Everyone else is Christ." I wish I did better at assimilating that attitude.

layne (herman) said...

for more on the Altar Consecration at St. Lawerence; there is a slideshow of the Altar Consecration at homepage.mac.com/stlawrence/iMovieTheater20.html and via the Indiana list at listserv.indiana.edu/cgi-bin/wa-iub.exe?A2=ind0306B&L=orthodox&P=R423&I=-3 you can read an explanation about the Altar Consecration.