Saturday, October 25, 2008

Saturday Soundtrack: What do Frankie Vali and Denise Van Outen have in Common?

I heard this song many many years ago. I had it on an LP when I was a kid but I haven't thought of it in at least a decade. Nevertheless, I've been walking around whistling this song for more than a week. Why? Well, because I was at a gas station filling up the tank when I heard Lauryn Hill's voice flowing out of the windows of the next car over. Of course, Ms. Hills version was beautiful (except for the ugly rap bits), but she wasn't the first one to sing this song. Andy Williams recorded it. The S.F.-based band Boys Town Gang tarted it up in a very danceable disco version that one can still heard in some Bay Area night clubs. Gloria Gaynor (with lots of cowbell), Bobby Darrin, Denise van Outen, Heath Ledger, Nancy Wilson, and Englebert Humperdink (What is up with that name?) have all sung it. I've heard Filipino wedding singers sing the song for the first dance. I and a bunch of other boys sang the song to a bunch of girls at summer camp. I've heard mariachi orchestras play it loud with thumping guitars and martial trumpets. I've heard raggae, bluegrass, and karaoke versions. And I really dig a totally fabulous Spanish duo called Las Seventies who do an absolutely kicky version of the song. (They're like an Iberian version of the California-based Cheeseballs And what's up with calling a band who records music written by other people a cover band? Did Sinatra? Did Dino? Does Dame Kiri sing anything not written by someone other than herself? Never. And she was knighted for her singing!)
Well, I got a little of topic there, didn't I. Sorry about that. What I meant to say is that there are many great recordings of this song, but the version I had on an LP when I was 9 years old, and the voice I hear singing the song in my head is this one...

No comments: