Saturday, October 11, 2008

Saturday Soundtrack: One Tin Soldier

I think the version of this song most people know is that recorded by Jinx Dawson (Though she was the only member of the group Coven on the recording she insisted that the whole band get credit.) for the 1971 movie Billy Jack. (As a kid I loved all the Billy Jack movies.) But the song was originally and, I think, better recorded by a Canadian group called The Original Caste. The Original Caste used several singers not just one, and had better instrumentation that gave the song a warmer and more 3-D sound. Oh! There was a strange version of the on the Sonny and Cher show. It began as a Christmas Carol. An odd memory I have about Sonny and Cher is that they were the first people I ever heard of getting divorced. I remember being horrified by the idea.

Well, I'm rambling now. I guess I'll post the video of the Jinx/Coven/Billy Jack version and let you enjoy it.



And here is the Original Caste original:

1 comment:

Mimi said...

I just heard about Matushka Barbara, I'm so sorry to hear. May her Memory be Eternal, and hugs and love to you and your parish.