Wednesday, April 04, 2007

We've lost the Paska Recipe

I am going to start working on the Paska later today. So Much of last night was spent looking for the recipe. I couldn't find it.

All I can remember are theese four things:
1) it called for farmers cheese
2) it called for grated boiled egg yolks
3) it called for raisins.
4) it has to be in the mold on wednesday night to be ready to take to church on Saturday night.


I searched all over the internet looking for something close. This is the closest I have come to finding my old recipe.

Ingredients: 18 - hard boiled eggs / 3 pounds Farmers cheese / 1 pint whipping cream / 3 cubes unsalted butter / 3 cups sugar /
Press the Farmers cheese through a sieve. (This is the hardest part of the recipe) I usually use a wooden spoon and press it through a wire strainer a little at a time. Separate the egg yolks from the whites. (You will not be using the whites). Press the egg yolks through the sieve. Cream the sugar and butter together. Beat in the egg yolks. Beat in the cheese. Add whipping cream and mix well. You will place the mixture into a strainer lined with about 3 layers of cheesecloth. You will need enough cheesecloth to wrap up and over the top of the cheese. Place the cheese mixture into the cheese cloth lined strainer. Bring the ends of the cheese cloth up and tie the ends on top of the cheese in a knot. Place the sieve into a larger bowl suspended with enough room for the cheese to drain without sitting in the drained liquid. Place a plate on top of the cheese an place a heavy rock, brick, or other weight on top of the plate. Refrigerate over night. (
From http://happywonderer.wordpress.com/2007/03/31/kulich-russian-easter-bread/ )

What recipe do you use?



UPDATE: I searched this blog and found the recipe I use. I love blogging!!! Its like filling a great big huge filing cabinet with notes on my life.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's me again I forgot to say thanks for the terra cotta pot idea, brilliant!

Mimi said...

I use my blog for Scrapbooking page jouranaling.

Anyway, as to your question, my recipe is simple.

Go to Agape Vespers, afterwards, put some Paska onto my plate and enjoy!

I look forward to hearing how yours goes!

Mimi said...

I found this link today and thought of you.