Friday, April 06, 2007

Bells

Basil is sick so Athanasia stayed home with him. But Anselm and I went to Matins of the 12 Gospels at HTC Thursday night. It was served by 1 bishop, 3 priests, 1 deacon, 2 subdeacons, 2 readers, and a fabulous choir. And I got to ring the BIG bell for the Gospel readings. Once for the first reading, twice for the second reading, and so on. What that meant is that Anselm and I hung out in the bell tower for the whole service. Because I had to ring the bell at the right time I had to read along in a service book. One thing I notices is that we skipped the Prayer with Head Bowed. We also skipped most of the canon. I'll try to remember to ask someone why we skipped those parts.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Matt, Ian here. We did have a kneeling prayer last night; is that the same thing?

Matt said...

Well, I was using a different translation, so it is possible. Also, nothing in the book said "kneeling prayers" But it seemed that the kneeling prayers were at a different place than the "prayer with bowed head". In case you are wondering about the canon, only the first and last odes and ant irmos were sung.