Wednesday, April 25, 2007

The gnat

I haven't mentioned the financial scandal in my Church (not my parish or diocese, which are above reproach in every way) on my blog until now. Even though it was in the Washingotn Post and currently in Commonweal and people around the world have known about it for years, I didn't want to draw the attention of its existence to someone who might be considering a conversion to Orthodoxy, or to an Orthodox of weak faith. But today, it occured to me that I, by not mentioning it, was doing the same thing the bihops of my church are doing, trying to hide the facts. I do not anticipate writing a lot about this scandal or the people involved. I am only mentioning because I do not want to be like those who want to sweep it under the rug.

Now that I've mentioned it, I want to tell you what I am doing about it.
1. I pray to the Mother of God and to St. Tikhon theEnlighter of America to remove from the ranks of the clergy all those who have lied or stollen money in the course of this scandle. That includes Metropolitan Herman (I am aware of no evidence that Metropolitan stole money. But he has been caught in lies. And he was treasuerer when a lot of money dissapeared.)
2. I call the Metropolitan's office every day and ask him to resign.
3. I've written a letter to my bishop (now retired) asking him to take our diocese out of the OCA and into one of the other jurisdictions of the Orthodox Church.
4. I have ensured that none of the money I give to my parish filters up to the Metropolitan's office or any of his programs.
5. I have written to the Holy Synod and asked them to deal with the situation and not just sweep it under the rug.
6. I ask God to not let my annoyance at the bishops and priests eclipse my view of my own sins. (It is easy to get so worked up over the weeds in your neighbor's yard that you forget to weed the garden of your own heart.)
7. I have written many emails to the Metropolitan Council, urging them to do their job and not just be a rubber stamp for Metropolitan Herman.

I probably won't mention this situation on this blog again. Hopefully, through God's mercy those who have done wrong will repent, come clean, and we can all get on with our mission.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Matt, I agree that Metropolitan Herman should resign. Do you want BT to put us in ROCOR? I also pray to the Theotokos and Saint Tikhon, perhaps I will pray along your lines.
Love,
Olympiada

Anonymous said...

Matt, good thoughts all. Do you really call MH every day?! Good for you.

I'm praying too. Lord have mercy.

Matt said...

Oly,
Bishop Tikhon is retired now and can not put us anywhere. But I'd be happy with ROCOR (which I think is reunited with the Moscow Patriarchate now), or the Serbians, or the Greeks, or the Antiochians, or the Carpatho-Russians, or the...

Phillipa,
I didn't call during Holy Week or Bright Week. And I don't call on weekends. And I forgot to call today, but other than that, yes, I call every day. The ladies who answer the phone are all very nice. I feel a little bit sorry for them that they have to deliver such a horrible message.

Anonymous said...

Christ is Risen!
I just noticed that you visited my blog, thank you for that.
I haven't addressed the scandal because I have given that over into God's hands. This is something that I cannot control. It is my sin too, in the way that I am responsible for not praying and loving my neighbor as I should and being the Orthodox Christian I am called to be, I fail more than I succeed.
I have decided with this issue to follow my priest's example and be obedient to him, my local Church, and Bishop Benjamin. So far it has been a wait and see approach, as far as I can tell.
Is your approach found among the Saints or the Father's of the Church? I am just asking, no judgement here truly...
I wish you well and hope God's will is done for us all.
Truly He is Risen!
the handmaid,
Mary-Leah

Matt said...

Christ is Risen!

Mary-Leah,
I don't know what the fathers might have said about how the laity are supposed to act in a situation like this.

Did Bishop Benjamin issue instructions to us? I haven't heard? I do know that he is very upset with people picking sides. I have attempted not to do that. And it is pretty easy for me since I have never met any of the people involved in the situaiton. I try to be dispassionate. I do believe that the Church will come through this scandal; it is Jesus' Church after all.
Thank you for reading my blog. It is nothing compared to yours, which is always edifying.
Indeed He is Risen.